ZADNA just doubled down on potentially damaging regulations for .ZA namespace

Vanessa13

The solution is simple: register a .com instead. Problem solved. Who wants to be associated with South Africa anyway?

Vanessa13

I have to ask, is public commentary or opinion ever taken under consideration or is it up to the governing bodies and or commissions?

This is an old and very undemocratic trend in SA. Which public trading entities are supporting this proposition?
What the people of South Africa want stopped mattering long ago.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The solution is simple: register a .com instead. Problem solved. Who wants to be associated with South Africa anyway?
Good luck getting a dotcom to cover your existing brand or product. I am lucky to have my three.

New businesses or ideas have the option, not so much the existing ones.

I do believe global recognition is better, but consumers lean stronger to association. People doing Google searches in SA will better relate to dotcoza properties. Webmasters who know how to optimise can work that exposure.

Vanessa13

Good luck getting a dotcom to cover your existing brand or product. I am lucky to have my three.

New businesses or ideas have the option, not so much the existing ones.

I do believe global recognition is better, but consumers lean stronger to association. People doing Google searches in SA will better relate to dotcoza properties. Webmasters who know how to optimise can work that exposure.
Of course it's not ideal for many, but they leave us with little choice. People need to start making the move now already so that the .co.za redirects to the .com, with a message on the new site stating the address has changed, and then, when the time comes, customers will already know the new site/s. What else can we do? I'm one of the lucky ones who can just register a new one. It helps that my work is mostly with international clients.

cda

Of course it's not ideal for many, but they leave us with little choice. People need to start making the move now already so that the .co.za redirects to the .com, with a message on the new site stating the address has changed, and then, when the time comes, customers will already know the new site/s. What else can we do? I'm one of the lucky ones who can just register a new one. It helps that my work is mostly with international clients.
Or start a business providing API based domain fronting so no one will care about the regulations.

walter_l

There are registrars in South Africa that offer com / net / org domains - support them….
I would really prefer to. However, while a quick scan of the regulations doesn't reveal any impact on non-ZA domain registrations (IANAL so please correct me if I'm wrong), wouldn't you agree that this bill places all ZA registrars thoroughly under the thumb of ZADNA? If so, isn't ZADNA just one flimsy "regulation" away from being able to demand access to all registration data, even for non-ZA registrations?

My current feeling is that it'll be safer to rather avoid all ZA registrars, should this become law, as unfair as that might be to registrars.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
I would really prefer to. However, while a quick scan of the regulations doesn't reveal any impact on non-ZA domain registrations (IANAL so please correct me if I'm wrong), wouldn't you agree that this bill places all ZA registrars thoroughly under the thumb of ZADNA? If so, isn't ZADNA just one flimsy "regulation" away from being able to demand access to all registration data, even for non-ZA registrations?

My current feeling is that it'll be safer to rather avoid all ZA registrars, should this become law, as unfair as that might be to registrars.
You raise a very good question and one that I had initially not thought of. If ZADNA requires access into a registrar's infrastructure then they get access to everything, and there may be data within that environment which ZADNA doesnt have jurisdiction over and shouldnt have access to. This exposes a substantial risk.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Company Rep
They are hoping to emulate the Chinese model as much as possible.
Lots of small policy changes of the last few years which don't seem like much when introduced individually but when you take a step back and look at them as a whole you get the bigger picture.

Remember how every website owner had to put a link on their website to link back sacoronavirus[.]co[.]za when the pandemic started.... what and why was this required?

grca

Lots of small policy changes of the last few years which don't seem like much when introduced individually but when you take a step back and look at them as a whole you get the bigger picture.

Remember how every website owner had to put a link on their website to link back sacoronavirus[.]co[.]za when the pandemic started.... what and why was this required?
I remember the day that lawful intercept was thrust upon mobile operators, a long long time ago. No one gave a damn. Nor did anyone care about RICA. Toxic policies against privacy and democracy, especially so in a banana republic run by a lawless, corrupt government.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Company Rep

Attachments

• 43164gon-417.pdf
    445.6 KB · Views: 0

itareanlnotani

Executive Member
Well this sheds some light on where ZADNA gets their ideas from

Realistically, that came into play a good several years back for domains registered at Chinese registrars. A look through my records says 2014. A royal pain it was too at the time, as masses of paperwork needed to be prepared for each and every client/domain.

Real name registration, then company licence bureau also wanted verification and badge on sites, then the police, and of course the 备案 bureau wanted their stuff redone too. So 4 sets of paperwork and registration, and all within a tight time period.

Hosting in China is all about the paperwork.

At the time it was put in place due to the mass of spam registrations - domain registrations were relatively cheap, and chinese domains were being used by spammers and other dickwads for nefarious use. This put a large stopper on that, and they moved to other tld's.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Company Rep
@Jan - you guys seem to be ruffling some feathers. ZADNA have published an article on ITWEB with their version of why these regulations are required.

In their haste to get something out to the press they have added even more confusion.

Wesi explains that the draft regulations highlight the process to be followed by applicants for licensing, information that the Authority requires as part of licensing application, and explain how licences will be revoked. The draft also stipulates the duration of the licence – registries will be 10 years and registrars will be five years
2022-06-04_05-08-37.png
6.(1) A Registry licence shall be valid for a period of five years.
(5) A Registrar licence shall be valid for a period of 10 years.

CaptainPugwash

South African government is bankrupt and need new revenue streams ASAP. So this type of thing will keep happening across different industries over the coming years.