ZADNA just doubled down on potentially damaging regulations for .ZA namespace

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
South African government is bankrupt and need new revenue streams ASAP. So this type of thing will keep happening across different industries over the coming years.

I am certain the state is moving towards custodianship without being advertised as custodianship, it is a label they wish to avoid. The state wants to keep you on their register, but yes, they would seek to maximise their revenue streams. We are in an odd place where privacy rights are being championed, but where the state wants to have control over your identity.

calvin-

South African government is bankrupt and need new revenue streams ASAP. So this type of thing will keep happening across different industries over the coming years.

This, of course, will mean they get less revenue.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I am certain the state is moving towards custodianship without being advertised as custodianship, it is a label they wish to avoid. The state wants to keep you on their register, but yes, they would seek to maximise their revenue streams. We are in an odd place where privacy rights are being championed, but where the state wants to have control over your identity.
It's standard for our government, make the right noises for the international image, but do completely the opposite in legislation.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
I have a request for all domain owners, please send through an email objecting to the parts of the draft that may affect you, either directly or indirectly.

A direct effect is disclosing your confidential information such as your passport number, ID Number or if you are a foreigner then something like your social security number

An indirect effect is the increased cost to register and renew domains after registrars are penalized by imposed “license fees”, or less registrars in the market and their ability to increase pricing over and above the increased costs.

Another indirect effect is the registrar having to grant third parties access to their environments and infrastructure, possibly exposing your personal information to unauthorized entities / individuals.

Please send an email to rrlrsubmissions@zadna.org.za and mark for attention Adv Lerato Seema of the .ZA Domain Name Authority NPC (ZADNA)

Please state in your own words which, if not all of the issues that you have with the draft.

Last edited:

gruffdog

Proposed new rules threaten to kill .CO.ZA — and the regulator just doubled down

South Africa’s regulator for the .za namespace, the .ZA Domain Name Authority (ZADNA), has doubled down on controversial new rules for the country’s Internet domains.

ZADNA published draft regulations on 22 April, proposing sweeping changes to South Africa’s country code top-level domain (ccTLD) — .ZA.
More ANC money grubbing! Happy for them to drop the .ZA and register something else! been with Axxess for years,, amhappy !

gruffdog

I have a request for all domain owners, please send through an email objecting to the parts of the draft that may affect you, either directly or indirectly.

A direct effect is disclosing your confidential information such as your passport number, ID Number or if you are a foreigner then something like your social security number

An indirect effect is the increased cost to register and renew domains after registrars are penalized by imposed “license fees”, or less registrars in the market and their ability to increase pricing over and above the increased costs.

Another indirect effect is the registrar having to grant third parties access to their environments and infrastructure, possibly exposing your personal information to unauthorized entities / individuals.

Please send an email to rrlrsubmissions@zadna.org.za and mark for attention Adv Lerato Seema of the .ZA Domain Name Authority NPC (ZADNA)

Please state in your own words which, if not all of the issues that you have with the draft.
ZADNA or who ever, are not being honest enough to include
what the extra costs to end users will be? Also don't trust your servers with my personal info..

Petec

Expert Member
After advising, I am having 2-3 peeps in my network, cut over from coza to .africa...weekly. There are loads of .com migrations thrown in the mix also.
Coza is dead if these clowns carry on with this idiocy.