Zapper or SnapScan? Which one do you use the most?

Tony.B

I have a stall at a weekly market and I offer both SnapScan and Zapper.
Both charge me approximately 3% of sales, and nothing else.

Both also send me an sms with confirmation that the transaction has been completed, but Zapper also sends me an immediate email.

In addition, Zapper gives me the name of the customer (nice to be able to thank him/her). SnapScan doesn't do this, so there could be some confusion if two people pay the same amount almost simultaneously.

Here in Durban, Zapper is easily the more popular option - my SnapScan sales seem to come only from holidaymakers from Johannesburg and Cape Town.

In my opinion, Zapper is the better option for merchants.

MrJacques

I haven't tried SnapScan, but Zapper has given me issues a couple of times now, I just don't feel it's a reliable payment method.

spectrum.1

I am also looking, and the jury seems to be out on which is best.
Nedbank's new Mobile app looks like a winner, but I'll hang on a bit longer... maybe Discovery bank will have something, in which case I will move everything to whichever bank offers me the best deal.

werny

Expert Member
I haven't tried SnapScan, but Zapper has given me issues a couple of times now, I just don't feel it's a reliable payment method.
Never had issues with Zapper before, always use it at the Wimpy and works great for splitting bills. Whenever it's available I'll use it, much easier than taking out a the old plastic and waiting for the k@k slow card machine to process the payment.

I use Zapper often at local restaurants here in Durban which have it integrated with their Point of Sale software. SnapScan is very popular in Cape Town at the craft markets.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Neither. Recently been using FNB Scan to Pay, then I don't care whether it's Zapper or Snapscan.

2 less apps that need to be installed...

krycor

Honorary Master
Neither. Recently been using FNB Scan to Pay, then I don't care whether it's Zapper or Snapscan.

2 less apps that need to be installed...

I do this now.. Also i like the fact that this works for some payment portals/acquirers too.. e.g. PayFast? / Takealot.. last time i ordered i clicked on Snapscan and paid that way.. feels safer than entering card details.

In fact my cards have expired and i have not updated it and simply removed the app. :)

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I do this now.. Also i like the fact that this works for some payment portals/acquirers too.. e.g. PayFast? / Takealot.. last time i ordered i clicked on Snapscan and paid that way.. feels safer than entering card details.

In fact my cards have expired and i have not updated it and simply removed the app. :)
Interesting so this means you can use FNB pay if you lose your card?

krycor

Honorary Master
Interesting so this means you can use FNB pay if you lose your card?
depends on merchants.. remember SnapScan, Zapper and their ilk do not do this for convenience but as a business.. so the merchant cost is equivalent to owning a pos. combo that with merchants already having pos/ped solutions and it doesn't get taken up as easily as it's in the merchants best interest not to promote such transactions (bigger loss per tran). One alternative if you already an ABSA merchant is MasterPass but from what i hear it's still expensive.

So yah.. technically it should be a convenient replacement but financials dictate otherwise.

One exception is FNB, i believe FNB Pay allows for this for their customers* (FNB to FNB Merchant, i think currently its at no real cost to merch) but how may FNB merchants keep up with the latest developments and keep improving their teller software ? I haven't seen FNB Pay option on a FNB POS yet, heck how many retailers are using FNB Contactless?

krycor

Honorary Master
For restaurants, mom & pop stores etc the higher cost vs convenience works out btw but when you have a large retailer the aggregated cost doesn't work.

Personally I prefer using the app as no card details are exchanged and the bank settles with the merchant on the back-end (it's still a card based transaction for not-on-us transactions) but there are delays and technically there may be costs that are not anticipated.. i.e. this is a realtime online transaction i.e. cellphone signal of user/customer, store needs to be online, etc which require store to be sure they have fibre/leased line etc.

Remember card based transactions are able to fail over to offline via emv which is useful.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
depends on merchants.. remember SnapScan, Zapper and their ilk do not do this for convenience but as a business.. so the merchant cost is equivalent to owning a pos. combo that with merchants already having pos/ped solutions and it doesn't get taken up as easily as it's in the merchants best interest not to promote such transactions (bigger loss per tran). One alternative if you already an ABSA merchant is MasterPass but from what i hear it's still expensive.

So yah.. technically it should be a convenient replacement but financials dictate otherwise.

One exception is FNB, i believe FNB Pay allows for this for their customers* (FNB to FNB Merchant, i think currently its at no real cost to merch) but how may FNB merchants keep up with the latest developments and keep improving their teller software ? I haven't seen FNB Pay option on a FNB POS yet, heck how many retailers are using FNB Contactless?
FNB Pay works anywhere you see the contactless logo on the screen of the POS machines when you pay by card. So far from my personal experience only seem to be FNB and Standard Bank POS machines

eg2505

Honorary Master
neither, actually just use the card everytime,,

always wondered, how much data do any of these apps consume? and how much data does FNB pay consume, and is it zero rated like everything else FNB related?

might help the adoption if all these services were zero rated.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

always wondered, how much data do any of these apps consume? and how much data does FNB pay consume, and is it zero rated like everything else FNB related?

They use Gigs of data per transaction... they send a video stream from your front and back cameras as well as an audio stream... just to cover themselves in case you lodge a fraudulent transaction claim...

WalkWithMe

I use Zapper and Snapscan as often as possible. Zapper being the default. Since early Decemeber when I reset my states. Snapscan is 1 Mb of Mobile data and Zapper is 9MB, that is almost over 3 months. I would guess nothing more than 3MB a month. In other words unless you buy 10mb data bundles it is nothing.