Zero alcohol when driving – New law will go ahead

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Nice. This is long overdue. IMO this needs to expand to cover people driving whist under the influence of pharmaceuticals, such as Codeine.

Last edited:

Cray

Honorary Master
The department cited data from the Road Traffic Management Corporation as a motivating factor, which revealed that drunk driving accounts for 27.1% of fatal crashes in the country.

It went on to dismiss concerns from stakeholders – including the AA – that the new rule will “criminalise innocent motorists and is unlikely to have the results authorities think it will”.

Like anything else from the ANC, faulty assumptions and ignoring everyone else.... :X3:

porchrat

Honorary Master
Still a bad idea.

It shouldn't be illegal to operate a vehicle after having some cough syrup.

They've said 27.1% of fatal crashes are because of drunk driving. They're already over the current limit, just enforce it.

Cray

Honorary Master
Still a bad idea.

It shouldn't be illegal to operate a vehicle after having some cough syrup.

They've said 27.1% of fatal crashes are because of drunk driving. They're already over the current limit, just enforce it.
Yup, this, those 27.1% are already breaking the more lenient limit. Why would making it stricter change their already illegal behavior?

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Yup, this, those 27.1% are already breaking the more lenient limit. Why would making it stricter change their already illegal behavior?
To deter? I can drink and drive now (read Castle Lite), but now I can't drink and drive.

Neuk_

Executive Member
Another law designed to stop the people that didn't obey the previous law.

porchrat

Honorary Master
To deter? I can drink and drive now (read Castle Lite), but now I can't drink and drive.
The current law didn't deter them. I don't see how a new one with a different number on it will.

Also now going forward not only will you not be able to have that Castle Lite, you won't be able to take a significant number of medications. It's idiotic.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The department countered this by stating: “A lot of cough medicines contain warning leaflets that advise people against the consumption of the medication if they will be operating a motor vehicle or heavy machinery.”

Are they also going to confiscate any and all pharmaceuticals containing any trace of alcohol or inducers thereof?

Silly law, open for abusing innocents or enabling bribing which is of course in itself corruption.

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Are they also going to confiscate any and all pharmaceuticals containing any trace of alcohol or inducers thereof?

Silly law, open for abusing innocents or enabling bribing which is of course in itself corruption.
And hot cross buns? :crying:

6spdmanual

Expert Member
My guess? If less bribes were taken, the fatalities due to drunk driving would be less.