Zimbabwe and Eswatini scheduled to get Starlink before South Africa

There is also a clash with our square kilometer array. Elon Musk is familiar with this issues too. If they share the same frequency it will basically make the world's largest radio telescope....useless. This will affect many jobs not just local and abroad.
Does Australia have this problem?

this might be a stupid question and if so stupid answers are allowed BUT

What happens if you register in say for example Rhodesia oops I mean Zimbabwe and bring the dish over here especially if you get the RV version? Satalites are still flying over us, should it not still connect then?

What happens if you register in say for example Rhodesia oops I mean Zimbabwe and bring the dish over here especially if you get the RV version? Satalites are still flying over us, should it not still connect then?

You probably find it would work to some level, unless Starlink have figured out some sort of "zoning" in terms of the satellites you can connect to.

I don't know how the tech works, but one imagines there's some kind of a serial/IMEI on the equipment and they know which satellites are being used to connect which devices, so either they can block outright, or it will be picked-up and then blocked after some delay? Or, they just won't care.

I don't know how the tech works, but one imagines there's some kind of a serial/IMEI on the equipment and they know which satellites are being used to connect which devices, so either they can block outright, or it will be picked-up and then blocked after some delay? Or, they just won't care.
Originally dishes were geo-locked, but not any more.
You can get a roaming "RV" subscription & dish - the dish is more expensive.
If you have the normal version, and roam then "best effort" but it works well.
You can even modify the normal dish as a permanent fixture on an RV (see below)
Plenty of videos on Youtube showing roaming.

With anything you know the cadres need to feed, why bring anything to this country knowing the government is out to steal from you

Hoping there is going to be a test monkey that will test and get a dish in another country and testing here to see if it works as it will be a bonus if it does work here

Hoping there is going to be a test monkey that will test and get a dish in another country and testing here to see if it works as it will be a bonus if it does work here

Time to make some Swazi friends who have swazidollars but are looking for some Rands.

Isnt the issue here about market size? Quite a sizeable chunk of the SA market has ftth and or mobile coverage,making starlink a "nice to have" than the necessity it is elsewhere.

That being said i do not believe the fools up north will agree to starlink, due to its links to regime change attempts in say Iran.

Back