Zimbabwe electricity price shoots up by 320%

Sugarman

Making Sugar
Zimbabwe's power regulator has increased the average electricity price by 320%.

The decision was taken to allow it to ramp up production and improve supplies amid daily power cuts.
Essentially, the electricity company needs more money to pay for things like diesel to power the generators.

Zimbabwe is grappling with the worst economic crisis since the 2017 coup which unseated President Robert Mugabe.
The increase in electricity prices – the second in the past three months - has angered Zimbabweans who are already struggling with sharp increases in the prices of fuel and basic goods.

The government says rolling power outages, which last up to 18 hours a day, have affected mines, factories and households.
It says the power shortages, combined with a devastating drought, mean Zimbabwe’s struggling economy is set to shrink this year.
Link

quovadis

Expert Member
the Zimbabwe Energy Regulatory Authority (ZERA) said the price of electricity would jump to around 162 Zimbabwe cents (R1.67) per kilowatt hour up from 38 Zimbabwe cents.
Still cheaper than SA.

flippakitten

Expert Member
Wow, didn't realise the drought was so bad that it's even effecting the electricity price.

flippakitten

Expert Member
The coal is too dry?

Supply is less due to their one dam/hydropower thing.
You know you're actually correct.

Have you seen the issue with the Kariba Dam?
I did some quick reading at some point and there is some issue with the spill way I think it was.
Basically boils down it if the dam fills it stands a good chance of collapsing.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Its more about adjusting for runaway inflation and the devaluation of the Zimdollar, than an actual price incease: https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Africa/zimbabwe-quadruples-electricity-prices-amid-daily-blackouts-20191009
Consumers seem set for more price increases after the energy regulator said that, starting November, the power utility would index its tariff to the US dollar to enable it "to recover from inflation and exchange rate changes".
Not clear why they try to have a local currency, when most prices are pegged to the US dollar.

R13...

Honorary Master
Wow, didn't realise the drought was so bad that it's even effecting the electricity price.
They get some of their power from the Kariba dam's hydro scheme and levels have dropped far enough to affect output from there & getting worse.

Ponderer

Expert Member
Aaagh - the African Dream.
**** those nasty/thieving/rich "whites".
Everything is now better without them.
Everyone is happy, as there is no more inequality.
Everyone (except the ruling elite) is now equal, and are starving together equally.
Yet another shining example of successful communism.
Viva the African Dream.

Pitbull

Verboten
I was actually thinking about this yesterday...

Since most of Zimbabwe is in SA already, why don't we incorporate Zimbabwe into SA? There would be massive opportunities for South Africans in getting that part of Africa growing again.

Ponderer

Expert Member

Since most of Zimbabwe is in SA already, why don't we incorporate Zimbabwe into SA? There would be massive opportunities for South Africans in getting that part of Africa growing again.
Where everyone is equal - and some are more equal than others.

Temujin

Executive Member

In theory yes, but anc will somehow manage to **** zim up even more

Ponderer

Expert Member
In theory yes, but anc will somehow manage to **** zim up even more
But ... but ... but the ANC is different.
They really care about the welfare of the country.
They are there for the people.
They would never steal from the people.
The comrades/cadres would rather suffer.

rietrot

Honorary Master

They would have to agree to that.

BBSA

Honorary Master

More EFF voters, no thanks.