Zimbabwe votes in first post Mugabe election

thechamp

Honorary Master
HARARE - Zimbabwe goes to the polls Monday in its first election since authoritarian leader Robert Mugabe was ousted last year, with alleged ballot fraud and the likelihood of a disputed result clouding voting day. President Emmerson Mnangagwa, Mugabe's former ally in the ruling ZANU-PF party, faces opposition leader Nelson Chamisa of the MDC (Movement for Democratic Change) in a historic vote for the southern African nation.

Mugabe (94), who was ousted by the military in November, made a surprise intervention on the eve of the elections, calling for voters to throw ZANU-PF out of office. Mnangagwa (75), who promises a fresh start for the country despite being from the ZANU-PF elite, is the front-runner with the advantage of covert military support, a loyal state media and a ruling party that controls government resources.

But Chamisa (40), who has performed strongly on the campaign trail, hopes to tap into a young population that could vote for change. The election is Zimbabwe's first without Mugabe, who led ZANU-PF to power in a vote when the country became independent from British colonial rule in 1980 -- and ruled for 37 years. Elections under Mugabe were marred by fraud and often deadly violence, and this year's campaign has been dogged by accusations that the result will be rigged.

The MDC has raised repeated allegations of a flawed electoral roll, ballot paper malpractice, voter intimidation, bias in the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) and free food handed out by the ruling party. But campaigning has been relatively unrestricted and peaceful.

https://www.enca.com/africa/zimbabwe-votes-in-first-post-mugabe-election

thechamp

Honorary Master
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44998488

Zimbabwe's ex-president Robert Mugabe says he will not vote for his successor and former ally in Monday's elections.

In a surprise speech, Mr Mugabe said he could not support Zanu-PF's Emmerson Mnangagwa after being forced from office by the "party I founded". "I cannot vote for those who tormented me," he said. He added that he had not chosen among the other candidates but wished the main opposition leader well.

3WA

Expert Member
Can the MDC make it three wins in a row? And if they do, will they be allowed to become government this time?

Sl8er

Executive Member
Zimbabwe votes in first post Mugabe election

Best of luck to the folks up there.
I hope it's genuinely fair, lordi knows they deserve a break!

Chris_the_Brit

Grand Master of the Friendzone
My mom is from Zimbabwe, so obviously some interest in this election.

Come on Chamisa! :cool:

Just a reminder that urban votes - which lean strongly towards the MDC - will likely come out first, so don't get too excited when the first returns come in. MDC need to make head-way in the rural areas of the country.

thechamp

Honorary Master
Quick question, is MDC united again? I remember that the was a Mutamabara faction and the Tsvangirai faction.

R13...

Honorary Master

Zimbabwe's ex-president Robert Mugabe says he will not vote for his successor and former ally in Monday's elections.

In a surprise speech, Mr Mugabe said he could not support Zanu-PF's Emmerson Mnangagwa after being forced from office by the "party I founded". "I cannot vote for those who tormented me," he said. He added that he had not chosen among the other candidates but wished the main opposition leader well.
I know Chamisa denies it but the word is the Mugabes are backing the MDC grouping in return for them taking Grace onboard if they win. Chamisa has made a public statement for Grace to stay away from him though lol.

ambroseg1

Executive Member
if zanu-pf will lose the power in this election, then zim will be the best country in the region.
Just like if the DA won, South Africa would be? The same DA who are now moving a "corrupt" de Lille to represent them in the provincial legislature?

ForceFate

Executive Member

:erm: