Zinio Magazines

Hemps

Honorary Master
I installed and registered with Zinio a while back so often get emails on specials they run etc.

The only magazine I currently subscribe to is Nat Geo in iTunes which is a very nice magazine, interactive and made for iPad.

The magazines that you subscribe to on zinio are they in .pdf format or are they designed for ipad, not scanned pages of original paper magazine?

I would like to subscribe to Popular Mechanics, they have a get 2yr subs and pay for 1yr special.

Jakes147

Expert Member
I installed and registered with Zinio a while back so often get emails on specials they run etc.

The only magazine I currently subscribe to is Nat Geo in iTunes which is a very nice magazine, interactive and made for iPad.

The magazines that you subscribe to on zinio are they in .pdf format or are they designed for ipad, not scanned pages of original paper magazine?

I would like to subscribe to Popular Mechanics, they have a get 2yr subs and pay for 1yr special.

Why don't you download a free issue magazine in order to see the way its presented? It's definitely not a pdf but not sure if its the same as the ones from itunes.

Last edited:

Hemps

Honorary Master
Why don't download a free issue magazine in order to see the way its presented? It's definitely not a pdf but not sure if its the same as the ones from itunes.

Can you use iTunes credit to pay?

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Can you use iTunes credit to pay?

You can use your SA credit card (via their website) or your iTunes credit (in App purchase).

Not sure what format they are in but you can read them via the website and on mobile devices so I would guess different formats depending on the target platform.

Tip: Zinio like to set the auto renew. I go back and switch it off so I can wait for a special before renewing.

Tip2: Zinio have sent me a a few discount vouchers which you can use towards purchases. You can only use them via the website.

Last edited:

Jakes147

Expert Member
Last edited:

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No you won't be able to use your Itunes credit for zinio mags.

Not so. Here is a screen grab from my iTunes purchase history.

zino_in-app_purchase.jpg

morkhans

A MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Cool, didn't know that. thanks

No Problem.

Personally I prefer to purchase via the website with my CC as iTunes vouchers come at a premium, but this was the SO's doing while we were still getting to know the purchase options.

ebendl

Expert Member
I found it better to use the website as I buy US iTunes credits (usually at a small premium to purchase it via SA). On the site you can pay with your credit card and it ends up being a lot cheaper than the physical magazine.

I think it is probably PDF wrapped in their viewer. The format is pretty good - matches the physical magazines in terms of layout etc., but there are no "smart features" such as links, videos, slide-shows or whatever.

Hemps

Honorary Master
I think it is probably PDF wrapped in their viewer. The format is pretty good - matches the physical magazines in terms of layout etc., but there are no "smart features" such as links, videos, slide-shows or whatever.

Yeah, I tried some free version like popular mechanics and pc magazine and I'm not impressed, identical to .pdf version's I download and rummage through.
At least with the Nat Geo magazine they put some effort in it to make it readable on the tablets.