Zoom inks deal with First Distribution in South Africa

mylesillidge

Journalist
Zoom launches South African offices — what it means

Zoom Video Communications is increasing its presence in South Africa by launching offices in the country and focussing on distribution channels in the Sub-Saharan region.

The video conferencing company has also signed a deal with First Distribution, which will help expand its footprint in the region. It plans to adopt additional distributors in the future.

Update: Zoom EMEA has contradicted its South African spokespeople and said it has not opened a local office.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphiron

Expert Member
WFH is over guys, people are going back to the office
Judging by how many of our clients have downgraded offices with most of the staff working remotely, I think the forward-thinking companies have embraced it. The technology has allowed for it for 10 years already. People just did not believe us.

now if only Managers can adjust to managing a remote workforce based on outputs, rather than "is your bum in the swivel chair"

charlieharper

Expert Member
what is the difference?
Work from Home is kinda like, temporarily away from the office, perhaps still need to be at the office from time to time and bound to be in a specific town / city.

Working Remotely (followed by remote companies) implies that perhaps an office doesn't even exist and you are not bound to a specific location.

Last edited:

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Meh, Zoom was just a phase because Teams hadnt hit prime time and Cisco UCM cloud wasnt nearly ready to be useful.
The reality is that most companies are migrating from Cisco, Avaya and SfB to Teams which already neatly integrates into their MS platforms and o365.
Teams will be by far the biggest player in the voice and video space within the next two years.

Rocket-Boy

Honorary Master
Work from Home is kinda like, temporarily away from the office, perhaps still bound to be at the office from time to time and bound to be in a specific town / city.

Working Remotely (followed by remote companies) implies that perhaps an office doesn't even exist and you are not bound to a specific location.
^This, nothing temporary about me working from home, my position was remote from the beginning.

NeonNinja

Neon Resident
Who still uses Zoom? MS Teams for us.
I think for the informal settings it's still being used a lot and some church organizations (bulk licensing). For the corporate world it's MS Teams. So not a bad idea, as Skype is falling off.

Reactions: Yuu

RedViking

Nord of the South
Work from Home is kinda like, temporarily away from the office, perhaps still need to be at the office from time to time and bound to be in a specific town / city.

No. WFH means you are working remotely. Either from home or another location. But I understand what you mean.

My company is remote work and employees WFH. But they can basically work from anywhere as we don't have a physical building or location.

charlieharper

Expert Member
No. WFH means you are working remotely. Either from home or another location. But I understand what you mean.

My company is remote work and employees WFH. But they can basically work from anywhere as we don't have a physical building or location.

I just (personally) feel that WFH is a term that derived from the early Covid lockdowns, where people suddenly were forced to "Work from Home" which for most people turned in Zoom-hell, cause they had no clue how to do it to begin with.

Where working remotely are the original remote workers (perhaps mostly devs) that's been working remotely, whether home, cafe, coworking space, etc since long before covid was a thing.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I just (personally) feel that WFH is a term that derived from the early Covid lockdowns, where people suddenly were forced to "Work from Home" which for most people turned in Zoom-hell, cause they had no clue how to do it to begin with.

Where working remotely are the original remote workers (perhaps mostly devs) that's been working remotely, whether home, cafe, coworking space, etc since long before covid was a thing.
Agree. I have been WFH / remote worker since always. Never in my life set foot in an office. So it is all I know. The hybrid model business they have now adapted to is not the same. They still try to function the traditional way in a traditional system but at the same time wants to be remote as well. It simply doesn't work that well. But guess you right, remote work is really the future.

grok

Honorary Master
Judging by how many of our clients have downgraded offices with most of the staff working remotely, I think the forward-thinking companies have embraced it. The technology has allowed for it for 10 years already. People just did not believe us.

now if only Managers can adjust to managing a remote workforce based on outputs, rather than "is your bum in the swivel chair"
I worked for a UK company in Manchester in 2004, on the 1st day of the project we got a spreadsheet where you had to indicate which days you'll be on site and which you'll be working remotely.

Not negotiate, or lick arse, or dodge accusations or best of all.. accrue a 'reward' for being a good wekka or something lol. Please indicate so your PM can plan common days for meetings and such. Like professionals, not schoolies yea?

This was way before Zoom or Skype/whatsapp on smartphones, I think I still had a Nokia or a Sony then.

South African managerial type lookalikes are one track minded & useless when it comes to thinking innovative and outside the box. It's only developers that need to keep up with technology, on their own time nogal, managers still manage like it's 1938..

Lupus

Honorary Master
I worked for a UK company in Manchester in 2004, on the 1st day of the project we got a spreadsheet where you had to indicate which days you'll be on site and which you'll be working remotely.

Not negotiate, or lick arse, or dodge accusations or best of all.. accrue a 'reward' for being a good wekka or something lol. Please indicate so your PM can plan common days for meetings and such. Like professionals, not schoolies yea?

This was way before Zoom or Skype/whatsapp on smartphones, I think I still had a Nokia or a Sony then.

South African managerial type lookalikes are one track minded & useless when it comes to thinking innovative and outside the box. It's only developers that need to keep up with technology, on their own time nogal, managers still manage like it's 1938..
More like 1898, thinking it's the industrial age. My boss gets peeved, he says we're not factory workers where you can measure things by quantity, we are developers, sys admins and and our output is clearly visible and if we fall behind on projects he knows, he doesn't need to watch us, but the upper management is like no they need to be back.