Zuckerberg Responds to Claims That Facebook Prioritizes Profit as ‘Just Not True’

CorneliusCenturion

WTF is wrong with people? Of course, a company will prioritize profit. It is the sole reason they exist. Is the fact that companies are FOR-PROFIT ENTERPRISES news to these mouth-breathers... FFS I cannot take this stupid **** anymore!

Pegasus

Executive Member
What a stupid comment. This is how "dumb fscks" he thinks we are: he is legally beholden to his shareholders to prioritise profit. That's how capitalism works. Anything else is malfeasance.

Most Tech companies priorize growth. Tax is payable on profits.

Kodi

In principle, no.
Mark Zuckerburg and FB aren’t responsible for your children, you are.

“Instagram gave my child mental health issues”. Snowflakes.
Should the movie industry not have R ratings?

Should nightclubs not regulate who enter?

Should bottle stores not be age restricted?

Should the crime of statutory rape be abolished?

I could go on.. but you should get it by now.

azbob

Honorary Master
Should the movie industry not have R ratings?

Should nightclubs not regulate who enter?

Should bottle stores not be age restricted?

Should the crime of statutory rape be abolished?

I could go on.. but you should get it by now.

Oh you think kids don’t watch R rated movies or sneak into clubs with fake ID? Please continue. Let Mark look after your kids for you.

Also, FB and Instagram already have age restrictions so your points are invalid.

Unreal

Facebook doesn’t benefit from content that makes people angry or depressed or make all product decisions to maximize user interactions, Zuckerberg said.”

Ask MyBB about the benefits of content that makes people angry

Kodi

Oh you think kids don’t watch R rated movies or sneak into clubs with fake ID? Please continue. Let Mark look after your kids for you.
We recognise murder [or whatever bad crime] as morally repugnant, hence criminalising it. Yet despite the laws we still see murder every day.

Inferring and invoking your logic above, laws that criminalise murder could be abolished. Why? Because only some people still transgress it....

Nobody is asking Mark to look after their kids. Bit silly to suggest it. But rather asking for regulation on how FB curates content tailed toward an under age audience... nothing new really. We've been doing this since forever.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
Facebook doesn’t benefit from content that makes people angry or depressed or make all product decisions to maximize user interactions, Zuckerberg said.”

Ask MyBB about the benefits of content that makes people angry
Yeah, the MyWindUp posts happen a lot :D

CorneliusCenturion

We recognise murder [or whatever bad crime] as morally repugnant, hence criminalising it. Yet despite the laws we still see murder every day.

Inferring and invoking your logic above, laws that criminalise murder could be abolished. Why? Because only some people still transgress it....

Nobody is asking Mark to look after their kids. Bit silly to suggest it. But rather asking for regulation on how FB curates content tailed toward an under age audience... nothing new really. We've been doing this since forever.
A lot of things parents teach their children not to do they end up doing. You would probably find a number of people in jail for murder whose parents taught them that killing is bad. Social Media is not one of them. I agree you cannot expect Mark Zukerberg to raise your children. Take some bloody responsibility for the raising of your kids.

I personally don't like Social Media, I'm not on it because I consider it thrash. My kids are only 6 and 8, but when the time comes when they may want to be on Social Media I'm gonna have long conversations with them explaining why I believe it is bad for them and why I don't want them on it. As long as they are my responsibility I have to do what I believe is best for them.

They may resent or hate me for it but when the day comes when they bring their own children into the world they may discover a new respect for why their dad did what he did.

NoLuck Chuck

Facebook Inc. Chief Executive Officer Mark Zuckerberg addressed a recent series of negative stories about the company for the first time by saying accusations that it puts profit over user safety are “just not true.”

Fake news!

Last edited:

animal531

Expert Member
WTF is wrong with people? Of course, a company will prioritize profit. It is the sole reason they exist. Is the fact that companies are FOR-PROFIT ENTERPRISES news to these mouth-breathers... FFS I cannot take this stupid **** anymore!

Yeah, a company of for example 100 people where the CEO is a decent human being and knows everyone can be a great place where the people come first.

But once you get to 1000 people even a decent CEO can't know everyone, nevermind if you have a piece of garbage in command.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
Most Tech companies priorize growth. Tax is payable on profits.
Sure, but my point is that his comment pertains to an inherent facet of the CEO/shareholder relationship. Claiming otherwise is to assume the people you are talking to do not know this, IOW are "dumb fscks".
He's a liar.

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
He is not legally beholden to prioritise profit over everything else. Profit needs to be a priority, of course, but so is safety of users. When profit is priotised over user safety, or other concerns, in other businesses, it is seen as a problem, why should this be any different?
Bit of research show that this is accurate. I was mistaken that profit is the defacto first priority. OP edited.