Zuma asks for immunity for African leaders

Should African dictators get immunity for the sake of change?

• Yes, as long as it is once off and not a perpetual agreement

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Yes, unconditionally!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, they should suffer consequences

Votes: 62 81.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_id=nw20090614160155958C558376

President Jacob Zuma has proposed a deal which would allow autocratic leaders in Africa immunity from prosecution in exchange for their retirement, the Sunday Times reported on Sunday.

"The world has changed, therefore let us do things differently and not emphasise punishment.

"If you are saying: 'Okay move out, but tomorrow we are going to deal with you', then you are causing a problem with somebody saying: 'Why should I leave when I still have power? I had better remain here'," Zuma said in a televised conversation with Rwandan President Paul Kagame.

"The leadership of Africa today must come very boldly and deal with these issues. It's not for our sake as leaders. It's for the sake of our people, for the sake of our continent," Zuma said.

'It's not for our sake as leaders'
Zuma declined to name any leaders who might be candidates for immunity.

It is widely perceived Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe and his regime were motivated to hold onto power because they feared prosecution for crimes against humanity going as far back as the massacre of 20 000 people in Matebeleland from 1982 to 1985.

It has also been cited a factor hindering the agreement of a peace deal in Uganda. Lord's Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony has been said to be reluctant to sign an agreement because he fears prosecution of crimes, not least of which include sexual violence against women and girls and the conscription of child soldiers from villages. - Sapa

Now why do you think Zuma would propose such a deal? What do you think he has planned for the future? :D

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
I think maybe if a bit more detail was added to his plan it would be good...

Cos blanket immunity is not on...

Immunity from certain types of prosecution, MAYBE (If it iwll mean they'll step down), but they must not be allowed to leave with their "riches"

bwana

MyBroadband
Super Moderator
As much as I dislike the idea of him getting away with it I wonder if Mugabe will ever step down it is a certainty that he will be prosecuted.

Peder

Hobbit
sometimes i just wanna goto zim and kill Mugabe... he really needs to GO!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
thanks for the poll Mr. Mod! :D

Ima scared that the actual result of such a move would be that African Leaders are then emboldened to do what they want in office knowing that they can just retire in safety. There is no consequence.

TheHiveMind

Banned
As much as I dislike the idea of him getting away with it I wonder if Mugabe will ever step down it is a certainty that he will be prosecuted.

Hmmm... waiting a few years for the old boy to die... or letting him off scott free and setting a precident that allows people to initiate crimes against humanity and then retire with all their stolen wealth.. No, lets wait.

Morgoth

Executive Member
well, this sounds like a good plan to get bob out of office I suggest give him immunity , 2 weeks after he is out of office withdraw the proposal, and bam!

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
well, this sounds like a good plan to get bob out of office I suggest give him immunity , 2 weeks after he is out of office withdraw the proposal, and bam!

That's exactly why the plan is not feasible. None of the dictators would ever trust it.

Stickfigure

Executive Member

+1.

I think there will be a world riot if Bob gets off scot free. Seeing as my entire dad's side of the family are Zimbabwean, I know how what Bob has done has affected the people over there.

He should be sat in the electric chair if he does step down before he dies.

DJ...

Banned
Stepping down means buggerall as long as the dictator passes the baton on to a protege. Setting such a precedent doesn't invoke change - it has the exact opposite affect...

boramk

Bammed
Zuma has a point no magtter how much we think Mugabe "deserves" it..

Its an unfair world guys, and we better off speeding things up to make it better, this is one of them..

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
The reason the world has changed is because of wicked people. Why let them off? It will only make it easier for other dictators and worse for the people. Besides this just sounds like Zuma is planning for his OWN retirement.

adrianx

Expert Member
Forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing...

I would agree with the "forgive them" part, if they would be prepared to admit that they did/do not know what they are doing.

DJ...

Banned
Forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing...

I would agree with the "forgive them" part, if they would be prepared to admit that they did/do not know what they are doing.

Er, that doesn't solve anything...

boramk

Bammed
Look, get them to step down...
They won't have as much or not security at all..

Then kill them :)

Vrotappel

Bulls fan
The moment one steps down he will simply be replaced by another. This is Africa after all.

adrianx

Expert Member