Zuma loses Hanekom 'spy' defamation case, ordered to pay damages

BBSA

Honorary Master
Former president Jacob Zuma's "known enemy agent" tweet about former cabinet minister and ANC member Derek Hanekom was "untrue, defamatory and unlawful".

This is according to Durban High Court judge Dhaya Pillay, who on Friday ordered Zuma to remove it and publish an apology on Twitter within 24 hours.

Zuma was ordered to pay damages, the quantum of which is to be determined at a future hearing where oral evidence will be led.

Hanekom, the former tourism minister - in Zuma's administration - was suing Zuma for R500,000 in damages after the former president tweeted in July that Hanekom was a “known enemy agent”. Hanekom said this has caused him “immense harm and damage” because it gave the impression that he was an apartheid spy.

Zuma, in his affidavit, said there were “common cause events” that demonstrated that Hanekom “colluded with opposition parties that sought to remove me as president”.

Judge Pillay also issued an interdict preventing him from ever again stating or implying that Hanekom is an enemy agent or a spy.

She said this will not prevent him from giving honest evidence at the Zondo commission.

Hanekom's lawyers were not present. Attorney Robinson Manzi appeared for Zuma.

skimread

Executive Member
Good news. he wanted to name Hanekom at the Zondo commission as an enemy agent so he now will have to make up something else absurd

skimread

Executive Member
Queue an appeal and more legal costs for him.
Defamation is a much simpler charge than corruption. You defame someone or you don't.

There are no loopholes or angles his lawyers can use.

Milano

Honorary Master
Amazon ships this great learning aid to SA. Something the court should really consider gifting the accused.

The book begins with small, easily observable numbers before building up to truly gigantic ones.

Great reviews

I read the book REALLY BIG NUMBERS by RICHARD EVAN SCHWARTZ and I read every page. The book starts with 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90 100 200 300 400 500 and 1000 pieces of cheese then 1024 squares then 2500 dots and 2500 more dots for 5000 then 7 days in one week and 24 hours in one day and 60 minutes in one hour and just over 10,000 minutes in a week then 20,000 then 40,000 then 50,000 then 100,000 then one million, then billion then trillion, gradually getting larger to a GOOGOL which is 100 quintillion times number of atoms in universe then GOOGOLPLEX - imagine a 10^98 dimensional piece of cheese sliced into a googol equal parts each dimension, then there will be a GOOGOLPLEX pieces of 10^98 dimensional cheese. Then come googolplexplex and googolplexplexplex and MEGA where there are numbers inside polygons to make HUGE NUMBERS. At the end, INFINITY. the book is 192 pages and is seven inches square and I read it for 45 minutes.

lkswan747

Expert Member
Zuma says - Eish, I cannot afford this as there are attempts on my life, people are trying to poison me and there are Third Forces acting against me....... and so on and so on...........

HBee

Expert Member
People should start suing politicians left right and center in a bid to get honest answers out of them.

REAList_1

A very good report reads that ex-president Zooma will now have to watch his utterances when (and If) he gets to the Zondo commission again. Can be a one hour only performance as he might have to keep to questions only. But then, he has shown himself to be a slow learner...
And of course, two (?) other cases against him must still follow.
He might have to sell Nkaaaandlaa to settle his debts eventually as his main sponsors have fled the country.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
A very good report reads that ex-president Zooma will now have to watch his utterances when (and If) he gets to the Zondo commission again. Can be a one hour only performance as he might have to keep to questions only. But then, he has shown himself to be a slow learner...
And of course, two (?) other cases against him must still follow.
He might have to sell Nkaaaandlaa to settle his debts eventually as his main sponsors have fled the country.
He doesn't own it