Zuma Tells Cop to Arrest Trashers!

Lycanthrope

Honorary Master
JOHANNESBURG - President Jacob Zuma yesterday ordered the new National Police Commissioner, Bheki Cele, and his police commissioners to arrest all striking workers trashing the streets.

Responding to questions, Zuma told reporters that he had checked the law – and the new top cop and other police commissioners had every right to order the arrest of those caught trashing the cities. He also promised a comprehensive overhaul of the criminal justice system.

Zuma defended his appointment of a politician and not somebody from the police service as the new national commissioner.

Zuma said current KwaZulu- Natal MEC for safety Bheki Cele has been in the field since 1994 and “he is the right man for the job.”

“He had brought the level of crime down in KwaZulu-Natal.

“Mr Cele distinguished himself in a number of areas such as finding solutions to the taxi conflicts and leading successful anti- crime campaigns in the province.

“We have no doubt that Mr Cele will lead the SAPS efficiently and effectively,” he said.

Cele has a mixed record in KwaZulu-Natal. He was central to solving the province’s taxi conflicts and helped launch successful anti-crime campaigns, but also rubbed the Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) up the wrong way – allegedly brandishing a firearm at IFP supporters in their stronghold of Nongoma.

Several opposition parties questioned Cele’s appointment and track record yesterday, but nevertheless pledged to work with the new top cop.

The IFP unequivocally slammed his appointment as a “disgrace”, “poor choice” and “serious blow”.

The Democratic Alliance (DA), IFP and AfriForum said they would have preferred someone with professional police experience to a “career politician”.

The DA’s Dianne Kohler Barnard feared that Zuma was making the same mistake Thabo Mbeki had a decade ago when he appointed Jackie Selebi, “a close associate of his from within the ANC’s political ranks”.

In June last year, Cele spearheaded the KZN ANC’s charge against the “gruesome political vendetta” against Zuma.

In the past, Cele controversially urged police to “shoot to kill”, vociferously defended the “blue- light brigades” and told off archbishop Desmond Tutu for criticising Zuma.

Source: The Citizen

Well, I don't see it saying anywhere that Zuma SAID that the trashers will be arrested, just that they should be arrested. But if he has said that they will be, then I'm all the more for it and quite impressed with Zuma. Not that I like him in the slightest and he has a helluva long way to go before I'd look at him in the same light as, say, a cockroach, but he'd definitely be earning brownie points.

As for Cele, he sounds like a chump.

Right now though, I can't help but think that any progress is good progress.

semiautomatix

Honorary Master
Well if the situation continues it will plummet some areas of the country into anarchy. This isn't a good situation for any government.

sand_man

Honorary Master
Well if the situation continues it will plummet some areas of the country into anarchy. This isn't a good situation for any government.
+1, 20 years ago the army would have been engaged by now. Not saying that's right but doing nothing sets a very dangerous president...

Balstrome

Banned
I mentioned it elsewhere, did anyone see that idiot, empty a trash can and then roll around in the trash, on the midday etv news

Flanders

Honorary Master
I mentioned it elsewhere, did anyone see that idiot, empty a trash can and then roll around in the trash, on the midday etv news

I just watched an etv news piece where a group of the Wickersham Brothers proceeded to pick up individual pavement stones that were stacked in a large pile next to a road construction site, and gleefully smash each one of them into the tarmac.

Must've provided hours and hours of rollicking fun. :rolleyes:

[OUPA]MrNutz

Expert Member
locally they have thrown glass bottles a ton on the CBD streets , and have somehow managed to flame the road with some chemical.

pathetic

snail

Expert Member
i bet you if any ANC supporters got arrested for trashing the city they would be pissed at putting the person who ordered their arrest, into power lol

Gomario

Banned
I am a cop. I have a very nice video shot, of the rioters I filmed yesterday. I will put it up on U-Tube over the weekend. You can't believe how idiotic they were behaving :D I laughed so much while filming, I had to stop recording because of the shakes. I am opening a new account and I will use a anon server to cover my identity. World +1 ; South Africa -1. As the saying goes – there is no substitute for intelligence -

Balstrome

Banned
Well as for evidence, I also have some photos of these rioters, but I don't think posting pictures of +50 year old black women stripping and dancing buck nekkid in public would add anything to the discussion, that this post has not done.