At launch Telkom charged R680 per month for a 512kbps ADSL service, with line rental priced at R67.72 per month. Business customers paid R800 per month for the service.
A 3GB account, called Telkom Internet powered by ADSL (ProLog), was priced at R219 per month.
At the time Telkom charged R404 to install the service. An ADSL modem from Telkom cost R2,469 for an Ethernet modem and R2,067 for a USB modem.
Big ADSL changes since 2002
Since the early days of ADSL many things have changed. Much higher speeds have been introduced, and MWEB started an uncapped revolution when they launched affordable uncapped consumer ADSL accounts in March 2010.
Here are some of the ADSL highlights over the last decade. Please note that this does not relate to ADSL ISP accounts, but only to ADSL access (ADSL lines).
- August 2002: Telkom launched a commercial ADSL trial in Gauteng, priced at R680 for a 512kbps service.
- March 2003: Telkom launched ADSL in all major cities in South Africa.
- June 2004: Telkom launches 4GB unshaped account called Prolog Unshaped at R879.30 per month.
- September 2004: Telkom launches cheaper 384kbps ADSL service priced at R449 per month.
- March 2005: Telkom cuts ADSL prices: BusinessDSL 512 reduced from R800 to R699 and HomeDSL 512 from R680 to R599 a month.
- April 2005: Telkom launches 192kbps ADSL service for R329 per month.
- June 2005: Telkom cuts ADSL prices – 192kbps ADSL now R270 per month, 384kbps service now R359 a month, 512kbps now R477 a month.
- August 2006: 192kbps ADSL users upgraded to the 383kbps service; ADSL 384kbps price cut to R245 per month; ADSL 512kbps price cut to R326.
- September 2006: Telkom launched 4Mbps ADSL service, upgrades 1Mbps clients for free.
- August 2007: ADSL price cuts: The DSL 384 reduced from R245 to R152; DSL 512 price down from R362 to R326; 4Mbps price will be cut from R516 to R413.
- August 2010: Telkom launched 10Mbps ADSL service, with a free upgrade for 4Mbps ADSL customers who get the higher speed.
- May 2011: Telkom upgrades ADSL 512kbps customers to 1Mbps free of charge.
- July 2011: Telkom cuts the price of its 1Mbps ADSL service from R326 per month to R289 per month.
- August 2012: Telkom bumps up ADSL subscribers – 384kbps to 1Mbps, 1Mbps to 2Mbps. Telkom adjusts its ADSL prices accordingly (R165 for 1Mbps, R299 for 2Mbps and R425 for 4/10Mbps).
- March 2013: Telkom launches 20Mbps and 40Mbps VDSL services at R540 and R795 respectively.
Telkom ADSL price graphs
The following graphs give an overview of the ADSL price changes over the years.
Some of the graphs have ‘gaps’ in them – this is because some services were discontinued, but then introduced again at a later stage.