Samsung has announced that South Africans with compatible smartwatches can now make payments using Samsung Pay.
The company said last month that it would launch this feature soon, and has now officially rolled out support for wearable devices.
South Africans with a Samsung Galaxy Watch, Gear S3, and Gear Sport are now able to install Samsung Pay on their devices.
To use Samsung Pay on their compatible smartwatches, users can follow the steps below:
- On your Samsung smartphone, launch the Galaxy Wearable app.
- Tap “Open Samsung Pay” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete your card registration. This is a one-time process.
- To make a payment with your Samsung Watch, press and hold the Back key for one second.
- Scroll through the cards list, select a card and tap “Pay”.
- Place your watch close to the NFC card reader to make a payment.
It is important to note that Samsung smartwatch payments only support NFC technology, meaning you will be unable to pay at POS terminals which do not support contactless payments.
Users do not need to have their wearable connected to their smartphone to complete a payment, and their smartwatch will request a security PIN from the user only if it detects that contact with their body has been broken.
“With the addition of Samsung Pay customers can do so much more and do it effortlessly,” said Samsung South Africa chief marketing officer Cambridge Mokanyane.
“It’s a quicker, simpler, and safer way to pay.”