Vumatel will handle the rollout of fibre to the home services in Parkhurst, with access prices ranging from free for a 4Mbps line to R1,299 for a 1Gbps connection. Data prices will range between R2 and R10 per GB.
The Parkhurst Residents and Business Owners Association (PRABOA) announced that it has nominated Vumatel as their preferred provider to supply fibre to the area.
Vumatel beat various other high-profile bidders, including MTN, Vodacom, Telkom, Dark Fibre Africa, SA Digital Villages, ATEC, Liquid Telecoms, ClearlineIS, Posix, and Cool Ideas.
A new entrant to the FTTH market, Vumatel is headed up by Niel Schoeman a founder of Conduct Telecommunications SA, which has built over 40 last-mile fibre solutions for business precincts in South Africa and was recently sold to Dark Fibre Africa.
“We chose Vumatel because of their excellent technical proposal and a solid business plan that showed the project was financially viable and fully funded,” said Ryan Hawthorne, PRABOA’s technical advisor.
Vumatel’s proposal included:
- A once-off installation fee of R2,500 per household;
- Line speeds of between 4Mbps and 1,000Mbps (1Gbps);
- The 4Mbps line speed will be offered free of charge, with the next line-speed of 50Mbps charged at R499 per month;
- The 1Gbps option will be offered at R1,299pm;
- All options have contract terms of 24 months;
- Bandwidth can be purchased from a number of competing providers, at an estimated cost of between R2 and R10 per GB depending on usage; and
- Some providers may offer uncapped access.
“Their 4Mbps free option appealed to us in order to get the community on board. Getting about 20GB of bandwidth on a 4Mbps fibre line for perhaps R150 per month is a no-brainer for the majority of residents,” said Hawthorne.
Parkhurst has long suffered very poor broadband coverage due to its distance away from the nearest Telkom exchange in Rosebank, and its variable 3G coverage.
The fibre rollout is expected to take between 6-12 months. An information-sharing session with the community will take place within the next two weeks.