President Jacob Zuma announced during his State of the Nation address that 2015 will mark the beginning of the first phase of the South African government’s broadband roll-out initiative.
Telkom has been designated as the lead agency to assist with the roll-out.
“Our economy needs a major push forward,” Zuma said at the beginning of his address.
He went on to present a nine-point plan to “ignite growth and create jobs”, one of which included ICT infrastructure and broadband roll-out.
The initial phase of the government’s broadband roll-out will encompass offices in 8 district municipalities, Zuma said.
Municipalities to benefit from this initial roll-out are:
- Dr Kenneth Kaunda in North West
- Gert Sibande in Mpumalanga
- O.R. Tambo in the Eastern Cape
- Pixley ka Seme in the Northern Cape
- Thabo Mofutsanyane in the Free State
- Umgungundlovu and Umzinyathi in KwaZulu-Natal
- Vhembe in Limpopo