The SABC will lodge “an immediate appeal” against the ruling handed down on Thursday that SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng be suspended.
The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) will lodge an immediate appeal on today’s ruling by the Western Cape High Court to suspend its Chief Operating Officer (COO), Mr. Hlaudi Motsoeneng,” the public broadcaster said in a statement.
Earlier on Thursday, the court ruled that Motsoeneng should be suspended for 60 days, pending the outcome of a disciplinary hearing.
Judge Ashton Schippers granted Motsoeneng leave to appeal to the Supreme Court, but ruled that the interim suspension should take place with immediate effect.
“The judgment goes to the heart of the Public Protector’s remedial actions in affairs of the State,” the DA’s James Selfe said outside court.
“If the disciplinary proceedings find him innocent, he can presumably go back to work after 60 days.”
The DA had brought an application for an interim order to have Motsoeneng suspended pending a disciplinary hearing, as ordered by Public Protector Thuli Madonsela.
Despite Madonsela’s finding, Motsoeneng had remained in his job at the public broadcaster.
The DA has said this judgment was an important test for the powers of the Public Protector.
“The implication of this judgment is that organs of state must implement the findings and remedial actions of the Public Protector unless rational grounds, that would stand up in a court, are presented for not doing so,” the DA said ahead of the ruling.
Madonsela’s report recommended action against him for receiving exorbitant salary increase and fabricating his matric certificate.