SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng has spent R40 million on a new studio, which amounts to little more than a hi-tech presenter’s desk and video monitors, according to a report in the Sunday Times.
The aim of the new studio was to facilitate coverage of the Rugby World Cup.
Motsoeneng – who was charged with misconduct by the SABC earlier this month, but remains in his post ahead of a disciplinary hearing – was in charge of the deal, according to documents seen by the paper.
The documents said the SABC was allowed “to deviate from normal procurement process in order to appoint Vision View for the construction of a multipurpose set and studio, (including all technological components) to service SABC Sport and the news division, at an amount of R39,380,000 ex VAT'”.
Vision View charged the SABC:
- R28.68 million for system integration
- R3.2 million for set design
- R1.6 million for lighting
- R2.1 million for technological developments
- R1.5 million for the multi-screens – including a video wall
- R2 million for project management
- R300,000 for furniture and wall padding
Motsoeneng told the Times that the state-owned entity did deviate from the normal procurement process.
“I have a problem with tenders. I prefer that a company come and make a presentation to us. If we are happy, we give them the job.”
This article appeared in the Sunday Times of 25 October 2015.