The SABC has paid R3.2 million to its 5-member interim board during their six-month tenure, according to the Sunday Times.
It then told staff there would be no salary increases.
The directors earned “almost double that of the previous board”, with the SABC stating the new directors attended more meetings. The payment means each member earned R640,000 for six months of work.
“SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago said the board had deferred payment until staff salaries had been paid,” stated the report.
Kganyago said the board “had been at Auckland Park almost daily and had held 99 meetings”.
The board payments come at a time when the SABC has been declared virtually bankrupt, and requires a multi-billion-rand government bailout.
The news also follows a call by Minister of Communications Mmamoloko Kubayi to reduce the number of SABC board members from 12 to 9, and the number needed for a quorum to 7.