The SABC needs to take action against those who caused its collapse, including Hlaudi Motsoeneng, if it wants money from the National Treasury.
This is according to a report in the Sunday Times, which said the National Treasury is imposing stringent conditions on the SABC before releasing emergency funding.
“The SABC must investigate the financial meltdown, and report on progress in holding to account people implicated in previous investigations into corruption and mismanagement,” the report said.
Should the SABC follow the National Treasury’s guidelines, former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng and former communications minister Faith Muthambi could face criminal and civil action.
SABC in desperate need of a bailout
The SABC’s financial situation is dire, and without a bailout from the government, the state broadcaster may be forced off the air.
Last month, SABC CFO Yolandi van Biljon warned that a total broadcasting blackout – or “Day Zero” – was a dangerous possibility if major debtors stopped supporting the state broadcaster.
At the end of May, the broadcaster was forced to choose between paying salaries or municipal bills, opting to settle the former and incurring a R13.5-million debt to the City of Johannesburg.
Things have reportedly improved for the SABC, however, with Van Biljon stating recently that there is no anticipation of Day Zero at the public broadcaster for the next three months.
This stability was achieved by cutting costs and improving the balance sheet of the company, although Van Biljon warned that the public broadcaster was not out of the woods yet.
The SABC has reiterated on multiple occasions that it urgently needs a loan guarantee from the government to make its business sustainable, with Day Zero remaining a real possibility in the near future.