The SA Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) has refused to flight Nando’s latest advertisement, which questions xenophobia, because it apparently contravenes regulations, it was reported on Monday 4 June 2012.
The Cape Times reported that the public broadcaster was meant to flight the advert on Thursday night but pulled out because of its “xenophobic undertone”.
The SABC told Nando’s that the advert violated the Electronic Communications and Transactions Act and the Advertising Standards Authority Act.
The video begins with a few people jumping over a fence at the South African border, followed by a voice-over which says: “You know what’s wrong with South Africa? It’s all you foreigners.” It then shows locals of different races and cultures disappearing in puffs of smoke.
According to the report, it also shows immigrants such as Chinese, Nigerians, Indians and Europeans vanish. The only person left, a Khoisan, says: “I’m not going anywhere. You @&*$# [swear word blocked out in advert] found us here.”
Well known TV journalist Thinus Ferreira quotes Chris Hitchings, CEO of DStv Media Sales, as saying “Whilst we understand that the commercial is a parody, we are not convinced that all our viewers will interpret it in the way intended”.
“We have a responsibility not to broadcast material that could be deemed offensive to our viewers and we have exercised our rights in this regard.”
Monde Twala, etv’s head of channels, is quoted as saying “etv decided last night to suspend the airing of the Nando’s xenophobia advertisement. etv respects creativity and the channel has previously flighted advertisements that have been rejected by other broadcasters.”