The SABC board was officially dissolved after a heated meeting of Parliament’s communications portfolio committee on Tuesday.
Before the disbanding, one of the last two remaining board members, Suzanne Vos, gave the committee her views on the events leading up to the resignation of nine board members in the past week or so.
She accused Communications Minister Dina Pule of interfering in the board’s operations.
“At the heart of this crisis, if one can call it that, is the view, not only my own, I believe, that ministerial interference in board decision-making and the functioning of the SABC has become extremely problematic,” Vos said.
She took aim at former board chair Ben Ngubane.
“The singular, unilateral, decision-making of the chairman, Dr Ben Ngubane, has been previously brought to the attention of this committee of Parliament,” Vos told MPs.
Addressing the committee earlier, Pule denied she was guilty of political interference, an allegation made by Vos and at least one other board member, Cedric Gina, who also recently resigned.
“If I had interfered, some of the things at the board would not have happened… I wish I had interfered,” Pule said.
The committee formally disbanded the board, and was expected to nominate members for an interim board in the afternoon. The National Assembly was expected to discuss matter later in the day.