Former MTN SA CEO Mteto Nyati has spoken out against the ICT Policy proposed by Telecommunications and Postal Services Minister Siyabonga Cwele, reported the Sunday Times.
The National ICT Policy White Paper was approved by cabinet last year and proposes radical changes to the telecommunications market, including the creation of a Wireless Open Access Network.
Nyati expressed concern over the policy, stating that its implementation could drive away investors and devastate the ICT industry.
He said the creation of a new entity with control over the supply of spectrum will only cause problems for mobile operators.
“The current mobile operators will have to get out of the infrastructure business and buy it from this one company,” said Nyati.
“This is not something we have seen working anywhere else.”
“The white paper does not communicate a good message about this country when it comes to investment.”
Nyati is currently chief executive of Altron, which he says will be affected negatively by the implementation of the proposed ICT Policy.
South Africa’s Internet Service Providers’ Association has welcomed the government’s National ICT Policy White Paper as positive, and said the focus should be on how the policy will be implemented in the country.