“We are, however, concerned by the faceless people who are trying to undermine the decision of the interim board,” said the organisation’s national chairman Kebby Maphatsoe in a statement.
“These faceless people are promoting their mischievous agendas through the media and providing incorrect information.”
Solly Mokoetle, the SABC’s chief operations officer (COO) between 2001 and December 2006, took up office on January 1 as the CEO on a five-year contract. He reportedly left the state broadcaster in a huff as COO, following a damning audit report compiled by Gobodo Forensic and Investigative Accounting in 2005.
According to the Sunday Times the report found he had badly failed in his corporate governance duties. The paper reported the new SABC board would challenge the outgoing board’s appointment of Mokoetle, which had been approved by Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda.
However, earlier this week, Nyanda’s office insisted the SABC’s interim board was well within its rights to appoint Mokoetle.
The Sunday Times article apparently quoted a board member as an anonymous source — which the communications ministry described as “unbecoming”.
Maphatsoe said people with “counterrevolutionary tendencies” undermined more than just the national broadcaster’s interim board.
“These faceless people are not only undermining the interim board, but also the minister of communications, the Parliament and the president of the Republic of South Africa.”
He said the MKMVA was aware of “disgruntled and opportunistic people in the SABC.
“We know who these people are; and if they don’t shut up with their allegations and continue with their ways, we will expose them.”
The MKMVA has “full confidence in the new CEO and believed his appointment was done in a “fair and transparent” manner.
“We are saying to the new CEO that the country has given you the mandate to fix the SABC and deliver on the world cup and digital migration and we hope we won’t have another soap opera.”
SABC problems – comments and views