MTN should drop its legal case to help with a settlement

The Nigerian telecommunications minister said on Tuesday that MTN should drop its legal case to help with talks on a possible settlement.

The Nigerian Communication Commission fined MTN ₦1.04-trillion (around R71 billion at the time) in October 2015 for not disconnecting unregistered SIMs on its network.

After negotiations with Nigerian authorities, the fine was reduced by 25% to ₦780-billion.

MTN was still not happy, and on 17 December 2015 the company announced that it will fight the fine imposed on it by the Nigerian Communications Commission.

Earlier this week the case was adjourned to allow MTN and the Nigerian authorities to to reach a settlement out-of-court.

Reuters reported that the Nigerian telecommunications minister, Adebayo Shittu, has now said that MTN should drop its legal action over the $3.9 billion fine to help facilitate talks on a possible settlement.

“Shittu said President Muhammadu Buhari will have the final decision on the matter, adding that MTN might be advised to withdraw the court case filed against the fine,” Reuters reported.

More on MTN

MTN in Nigerian stand-off over R60.6-billion fine: report

The real reason for Nigeria’s massive R59-billion fine on MTN

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Recommended

Share this article
MTN should drop its legal case to help with a settlement