MyBroadband’s 2017 South African IT Salary Survey took place in July, with its results providing an accurate reflection of how much IT professionals and executives earn.
The survey was completed by 3,062 South Africans who work in the IT sector, and includes executives and professionals from large tech companies.
To ensure accurate results, MyBroadband applied various filters to eliminate entries which were unlikely to be a true reflection of local salaries.
Average IT salaries
The survey results showed that:
- The average salary for IT professionals and executives in South Africa in 2017 is R41,455 per month.
- This is an increase over the 2016 average of R35,184.
While the increase in the average IT salary is no surprise – considering the shortage of IT skills in SA – the impact of the struggling economy was visible in the feedback.
30% of IT professionals said they did not receive a salary increase in 2017, and 41% did not receive a bonus last year.
The median annual salary increase among IT employees who did receive an increase was 10%.
IT salaries in South Africa
Along with average IT salaries, the survey results also provide an overview of salaries (gross monthly value) for prominent IT professions – as detailed in the table below.
Here is how the data below must be interpreted:
- Entry-level – Salary of a qualified professional with little relevant experience (10th percentile).
- Experienced – Salary of a professional with relevant experience (25th percentile).
- Mid-level – Salary of a professional with between 5 and 10 years relevant experience (median).
- Senior – Salary of a professional who has progressed to a senior level (75th percentile).
- High-end – Salary of someone who is very senior, considered well paid (90th percentile).
It should be noted that the results contain salaries from IT professionals working in small and large companies in South Africa.
Employees who work in large corporates in Gauteng and Cape town can expect to earn more than people working at SMEs in smaller towns.
|Gross Monthly Salary|
|Communications, PR, and Media||R8,800||R15,400||R21,660||R53,750||R60,000|
|Design and Animation||R10,600||R17,500||R31,000||R50,500||R57,400|
|Sales and Marketing||R16,540||R20,750||R32,500||R54,500||R87,400|
|Database Design and Administration||R18,200||R24,880||R34,500||R51,000||R65,690|
|Education, Training, Research||R15,000||R20,000||R37,860||R66,660||R77,440|
|Mobile App Development||R25,520||R30,780||R40,250||R56,420||R66,500|
|Programming and Software Development||R23,000||R33,000||R47,000||R60,000||R76,000|