MyBroadband’s 2018 IT Salary Survey results reveal that IT professionals in South Africa earn relatively high salaries, especially senior employees.
The survey was conducted in September and was completed by 2,695 respondents.
To ensure an accurate reflection of how much IT professionals and executives earn, various filters were applied to eliminate entries which were unlikely to be a true reflection of local salaries.
Average IT salaries
The average salary for IT professionals and executives in South Africa in 2018 is:
- R42,673 per month – up from R41,455 in 2017.
Other interesting information which emerged from the 2018 IT Salary Survey includes:
- 74% of IT professionals received a salary increase in 2017/2018.
- The average salary increase in 2017/2018 was 8.7%.
- 60% of IT professionals received a bonus last year.
- 55% of IT professionals think they are fairly paid, while 43% think they are underpaid, and 2% think they are overpaid.
IT salaries in South Africa
The survey results also provide an overview of salaries (gross monthly value without bonuses) for prominent IT professions – as detailed in the table below.
The data below must be interpreted as follows:
- Entry-level – Salary of a qualified professional with little relevant experience (10th percentile).
- Experienced – Salary of a professional with relevant experience (25th percentile).
- Mid-level – Salary of a professional with between 5-10 years relevant experience (median).
- Senior – Salary of a professional who has progressed to a senior level (75th percentile).
- High-end – Salary of someone who is very senior and considered well paid (90th percentile).
It should be noted that the results contain salaries from IT professionals working in small and large companies in South Africa.
Employees who work in large corporates in Gauteng and Cape Town can expect to earn more than people working at SMEs in smaller towns.
|Gross Monthly Salary|
|Database Design and Administration||R21,750||R30,711||R48,000||R69,150||R89,500|
|Mobile App Development||R14,000||R18,613||R33,000||R52,125||R60,667|
|Communications and Media||R8,500||R14,000||R32,554||R66,250||R75,000|
|Sales and Marketing||R9,800||R15,000||R30,000||R48,000||R59,100|
|Design and Animation||R13,200||R18,750||R28,750||R42,750||R83,250|
|Education, Training and Research||R7,250||R20,000||R28,500||R38,163||R81,194|