MyBroadband conducted its 2019 IT Salary Survey in April, where the results revealed that IT and telecoms professionals in South Africa continue to earn good salaries.
The survey was conducted in April and was completed by 3,055 respondents from a wide range of IT professions and companies.
Interesting results from the 2019 IT Salary Survey include:
- 64% of IT professionals received a salary increase this year, down from 74% last year.
- The average salary increase for 2018/2019 was 6.45%.
- 59% of IT professionals received a bonus last year, in line with last years’ figure.
- 55% of IT professionals think they are fairly paid, while 40% think they are underpaid, and 2% think they are overpaid.
IT salaries in South Africa
The survey results showed that the average gross monthly salary for IT professionals in South Africa is R44,330 – up from R42,673 in 2018.
Average salaries are not particularly valuable when benchmarking your own salary against your peers, however, as experience and seniority are not taken into account.
Breaking down the data into professions and seniority/experience provides a much better view of salary levels in South Africa.
The table below provides an overview of the gross basic monthly salaries in South Africa, excluding bonuses.
The levels in the table should be interpreted as follows:
- Entry-level – Qualified professional with little relevant experience (10th percentile).
- Experienced – Professional with relevant experience (25th percentile).
- Mid-level – Professional with between 5-10 years relevant experience (median).
- Senior – Professional who has progressed to a senior level (75th percentile).
- High-end – Someone who is very senior and considered well paid (90th percentile).
It should be noted that the results contain salaries from IT professionals working in small and large companies across South Africa.
Employees who work in large corporates in Gauteng and Cape Town can expect to earn more than people working at SMEs in smaller towns.
|IT Salaries in South Africa|
|Database Design and Administration||R22,000||R30,188||R49,250||R60,500||R71,000|
|Sales and Marketing||R15,000||R22,154||R35,500||R58,000||R80,400|
|Communications and Media||R16,050||R19,550||R28,672||R40,000||R59,500|