EOH gave ANC’s Zizi Kodwa over R2 million

State security deputy minister and former ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa received over R2 million in payments and luxury accommodation from EOH while the company was bidding for government tenders.

This was revealed by Steven Powell, managing director of ENSafrica’s forensics department, during his testimony at the Zondo Commission today.

EOH CEO Stephen Van Coller previously told the commission their investigation into corruption uncovered both undisguised and disguised donations.

Van Coller said the undisguised donations were all made to a single political party – the ANC.

Powell previously told the commission Johannesburg Mayor Geoff Makhubo requested over R6 million in payments to ANC accounts from EOH.

He said payments to ANC bank accounts helped to fund accommodation costs, employee stipends, transportation, and merchandise at ANC events.

During his testimony, Powell implicated Kodwa, who served as state security deputy minister, in dubious payments.

He said Kodwa received eight payments totalling R375,000 from former EOH Mthombo executive director Jehan Mackay.

EOH-Payments-to-ANC-politicians

Powell returned to the stand on Tuesday after the Zondo Commission, through a subpoena, received additional bank statements linked to Kodwa.

These statements revealed that Kodwa received accommodation and direct payments of R2 million from EOH.

Powell further revealed that Kodwa was allegedly paid R45,000 by EOH a day before he was asked to intervene in a Home Affairs tender from which EOH was disqualified.

He told the commission it was a particularly lucrative tender, and Mackay’s communication with Kodwa, following the deposit, looked like a plea.

News24 reported that Kodwa responded to the allegations through a letter, dated 21 May 2021, to the ANC’s integrity commission.

“To the extent that I have previously presented myself before the integrity commission, and presented the facts on these matters, the additional information is well covered in my previous submission and in my understanding does not fall outside the version of events already presented in the integrity commission,” Kodwa said.

“There are no allegations of impropriety that have been made against me, nor have I been criminally charged of any wrongdoing”.

EOH headline

EOH alerted stakeholders through a SENS announcement that Powell would be providing further testimony to the commission related to the findings of the ENSafrica forensic investigation.

“Powell’s testimony today is a continuation of his initial testimony from November 2020,” EOH said.

“The independent forensic investigation itself is now behind the group, and we have reported suspected fraud and corruption to the authorities and instituted legal proceedings where appropriate.”

EOH added that it has engaged the relevant law enforcement agencies to ensure that anyone found guilty of wrongdoing will ultimately be held accountable for their actions.

Now read: Explosive evidence reveals how EOH bankrolled the ANC

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Recommended

Share this article
EOH gave ANC’s Zizi Kodwa over R2 million