MTN Business today (24 January 2012) announced the completed enhancement of its Gallo Manor data centre (DC), situated in Johannesburg.
The business recently undertook an expansion and technology refresh of its main DC to improve its hosting environment for businesses.
The Gallo Manor data centre has long been a key element of MTN Business, with the hosting infrastructure being amongst the first for the South African market, when launched over a decade ago.
MTN has made a R50 million basic investment, and an R80m total investment in their Gallo Manor data centre.
The data center has been engineered and built around uptime and TIA-942 standards. MTN claims that they do no compromise on the use of innovative technologies and best practices to support efficiency, high availability and the highest level of physical security.
The Gallo Manor expansion increased the footprint of the data centre to 2000m2 with another 500m2 already earmarked for expansion. The DC boasts 6 main data centres and 11 third-party hosting sites.
An additional redundant diesel generator set has been installed to provide power should the entire feeder grid fail for an extended period of time.
All racks are being fed power from 2(N+1) UPS sets, with sufficient battery backup.
Additional changes include:
- Enhancements to the power and cooling redundancies and efficiencies – replacement of the old chillers plant with new cooling towers. These are now Hybrid towers that use little or no water but are rather air cooled.
- Improvements to the security and Building Management Systems (BMS) – the new system has a 24-hour monitoring station that includes new CCTV and access control monitoring.
- Upgrades to A and B feeds across the whole data centre.
- A new fire protection system has been put into place.
- A new staging area has been added to the facility.
- The reception has been upgraded and refurbished.
“This enhanced Gallo Manor facility will provide our enterprise customers with a fully Opex Pay-per use Model, 24/7 managed hosting environment with specific power and data usage efficiencies management capabilities and of course, all this backed by a highly acclaimed customer service excellence experience,” said Angela Gahagan-Thomson, Managing Executive at MTN Business.
“Congratulations to our dedicated and highly skilled project team who worked alongside our strategic MTN Business’ partners to ensure the successful completion of this large-scale project which allows us to confidently state that we can offer customers the best service, functionality and latency times across Africa,” concluded Gahagan-Thomson.