“We equally appreciate [the Independent Communications Authority of SA’s] concerns regarding the processes followed by these companies to arrive at these reductions,” CWU national spokesman Matankana Mothapo said.
“CWU, however, wishes to advance a stern warning that no-one should attempt to use these reductions as a justification for any negative impact on any human resource related matters.”
Mothapo said in particular job losses would defeat the purpose the tariff cuts were supposed to serve.
“It is high time that the working class, as the asset managers of our economy in this country and the world in general, must not become used as trading commodities for disguised improvements of the lives of our people.
“For the sake of our members in this sector and the public in general, we will continue to demand that the tariffs be reduced to 50 cents to the relief of the working class,” he said.
Icasa earlier this month approved the rate cuts by the three main cellphone operators to connect calls between networks.
Vodacom, MTN and Cell C last month filed an agreement with Icasa proposing a cut in the peak interconnection rate from R1.25 to 89c on March 1.
Icasa initially rejected the plan because it would have forced it to agree to a fixed gradual reduction over three years.
CWU and interconnect rate cut << comments and views