Vodacom announced the launch of Vodacom Travel Saver in a press statement on Wednesday, 11 December 2013, which it said is designed to help contract customers manage their roaming spend and reduce international roaming bills.
The service gives contract customers access to lower-priced fixed-rates for calls, SMS and data, Vodacom said.
It is free to opt into, but if call, SMS, or data usage activity happens while roaming overseas a daily subscription fee of R30 is levied along with the usage fees.
If no billable activity takes place, then no daily fee will be applied, Vodacom said.
Vodacom summarised the fees as follows:
- Opt-in: free
- Daily subscription fee: R30 (applies only when billable activity occurs)
- Calls made: R2.50/min
- Received calls: R2.50/min
- SMS: R0.80
- Data: R2/MB
To opt into the service, SMS the word “SAVE” to 123 or +27 82 123. Upon returning to South Africa the service will remain activated on the SIM card but will only apply when travelling. To deactivate the service, send the word “SAVEOFF” to 123 or +27 82 123.
The service is currently available in the following 26 countries and applies to all networks within those countries:
- In Africa: Egypt, DRC, Ghana, Kenya, Lesotho, Mozambique, Tanzania;
- In Asia: Australia, India, New Zealand
- In Europe: Albania, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Turkey, United Kingdom; and
- In Middle East: Qatar