Illegal electricity connections put additional pressure on the national grid and contribute to power cuts, the KwaZulu-Natal co-operative governance and traditional affairs department said on Wednesday.
MEC Nomusa Dube-Ncube was reacting to Princess Ntuli, 37, being electrocuted by an illegal connection on Monday.
Paramedics said Ntuli was walking barefoot with a bucket of water on her head in Intshawini, near Stanger, on Monday. The bucket apparently touched a low-hanging, live wire. Water spilled out and she was electrocuted, emergency medical services spokesman Robert Mckenzie said. Ntuli died instantly.
Two brothers had allegedly connected the wire to their shack.
“We are with the family of Princess Ntuli of KwaDukuza in their grief and we are optimistic that our law enforcement agencies will put those who are responsible for this unfortunate death behind bars,” Dube-Ncube said.
“We have had numerous incidents where children as young as five have lost their lives due to the negligence of adults in the community.”
Dube-Ncube said people needed to remember that illegally connections posed a risk to the entire community.
Ntuli’s spouse came to her rescue, but was also shocked. Mckenzie said the man sustained serious injuries and was hospitalised.
KwaDukuza municipality spokesman Sphelelo Ngobese said on Tuesday that the two brothers were on the run.
On Wednesday, police said no arrests had been made.