Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene has welcomed Eskom’s decision not to participate in the World Economic Forum in Davos, the SABC reported on Tuesday.
“Look, Eskom challenges are at home and I’m glad that they took a decision to address those challenges,” he said.
He expressed government’s support for the power utility.
“We will do everything humanly possible, to make sure, if there is a need for them to be supported, that they can be supported. But the challenges that we confront in the energy sector, particularly with Eskom, are at home.”
The power utility announced on Monday it had withdrawn its participation at the meeting of global business and political leaders and academics. It has been struggling to meet demand for electricity due to a lack of generating capacity and a maintenance backlog.
“It is important to note that the chief executive of Eskom Mr Tshediso Matona’s attendance had already been cancelled on 9 January 2015 at his own discretion — prior to questions being asked about Eskom’s attendance at Davos,” the power utility said in a statement.
“At that time, only the chairman Mr Zola Tsotsi and the group executive for sustainability, Dr Steve Lennon, were confirmed to go.
“We have taken note of the public concern and have withdrawn our participation accordingly. Mr Tsotsi and Dr Lennon will therefore not be attending the meeting in Davos.”