Load shedding is on the forefront of South Africans’ minds once again, following Eskom’s inability to provide the country with sufficient power over the past week.
While some are stocking up on candles, flashlights, and generator fuel, many South African’s aren’t affected by load shedding due to the area in which they live.
The City of Cape Town’s mayoral committee member for utility services Ernest Sonnenberg recently provided some insight into why certain areas do not suffer from power cuts.
“As far as exclusions from load shedding are concerned, the city is guided by what is referred to as regulation NRS048-9,” he said.
“This is the national standard for load shedding and deals with the appropriate treatment of critical loads and the essential load requirements of various customers.”
Which areas get the NRS048-9 treatment?
The regulation identifies the following criteria for the implementation of load shedding: the safety of people, the environment, the potential damage to plants associated with a critical national product, and technical constraints on executing load shedding and curtailment or restoration.
MyBroadband contacted several major municipalities in the country to find out which areas and suburbs fell into this category.
The City of Tshwane and the City of Cape Town were the only municipalities to respond.
Tshwane’s spokesperson said they were not “in a position to give… such information”, while Cape Town provided a detailed list of areas which fall under regulation NRS048-9.
The following areas in Cape Town are not affected by load shedding.
- Melomed Gatsville
- Bellville CBD – includes two state hospitals, Telkom international data centre, eye hospital, and two private hospitals.
- Tygerberg Hospital
- Bellville South Industrial area – most of these consumers partake in the voluntary load curtailment programme.
- Tyger Valley Cape Gate and Willow Bridge – load curtailment customers as per NRS048-9.
- Afrox, Kuilsriver – national oxygen supplier.
- Claremont Central Business District
- Newlands Control Centre – load shedding switching centre.
- Newlands Cricket Stadium – during fixtures October to Jan/Feb.
- Newlands Rugby Stadium – during fixtures March/April to Sept/Oct.
- SAB Miller – load curtailment customer as per NRS048-9.
- Jan Smuts, parts of Athlone – Athlone Waste Water Treatment Works, Langa Sewerage Pumps.
- Atlantis Industrial – load curtailment customers as per NRS048-9.
- Atlantis Residential – technical problems on restoration of supply.
- Groote Schuur Hospital
- Red Cross Hospital and St. Josephs Hospital
- Pelican Park, parts of Strandfontein, parts of Mitchells Plain – Cape Flats Waste Water Treatment Works.
- Paarden Eiland – Paarden Eiland Water Pump Station.
- Epping Industrial – load curtailment customers as per NRS048-9.
- Cape Town CBD – major central business district, Sommerset and Christiaan Barnard Hospitals.
- Mitchells Plain – Town Centre, Promenade, SAPS, Courts.
- Tamboerskloof, parts of CBD – High Court (08:00 -16:00), Cable Car High Season and windy days.