Hadebe will vacate his position at the end of July, after which an acting chief executive officer is expected to take over until a permanent CEO is appointed.
The new CEO will be responsible for implementing Eskom’s turnaround plan, which includes splitting the company into three separate entities – Generation, Transmission, and Distribution.
Apart from having the skills to run a massive company, the new CEO will also need the political clout and connections to manage the relationship with the government and unions.
The Eskom CEO position is one of the most challenging executive jobs in South Africa, with the incumbent tasked with rescuing a company with a R450-billion debt and a bloated workforce.
The new CEO will have to cut costs at the company in an environment where the mere mention of job cuts can be political and professional suicide.
There is a big debate on whether Eskom should bring in new blood in the form of an international expert or appoint someone from within the company.
According to Eskom employees, Chief Operations Officer Jan Oberholzer is likely to be appointed as interim CEO, and may also be considered as a permanent replacement for Hadebe.
What Eskom wants
According to the Eskom CEO job ad, the company is looking for the following attributes in its new CEO.
- A graduate preferably with a post-graduate business-related qualification.
- At least 20 years’ working experience.
- A solid track record in leading and managing significant change in a complex organization with at least 20,000 employees and an annual turnover in excess of R30 billion.
- Strong commercial acumen.
- Extensive understanding of and experience in funding and management large capital projects, strategic human capital deployment, and governance-related matters.
- Experience and expertise in areas of engineering, construction, and energy will be an advantage.
- Experience in corporate restructurings, including balance sheet optimisation.
- Strong in managing complex stakeholder and media relationships.
Eskom promises the successful candidate a competitive executive-level package which will be tailored to attract the right calibre of applicant.
Applications close on 2 August 2019.