Motorola Razr and Razr Maxx users will soon receive the latest available version of Google’s Android mobile operating system, Ice Cream Sandwich.
In a press statement issued this morning (5 July 2012), Motorola said that Android 4.0 has started rolling out to a select number of Razr and Razr Maxx users as part of their “standard upgrade process”. The update will be available more broadly over the coming weeks.
Motorola highlighted the following changes introduced in the upgrade on both devices:
- Redesigned keyboard for faster input with improved error correction and word suggestion;
- When no unlock PIN or password is configured, quick launch options will now be available from the lock screen to snap a quick pic, make a call, send a text, access your notifications, and manage music tracks;
- A new colour scheme, typeface, and animations;
- New folders to sort and group apps and shortcuts; and
- Contacts app replaced with the new People app, with larger pictures and rich profile information.
The following new features will be added, Motorola said:
- Face unlock;
- Data usage monitor; and
- Screenshots: press the power and volume down buttons to capture what you’re seeing on your screen.
Features that according to Motorola will be improved by the update:
- Email app with address auto-completion, quick response e-mails, and searching across folders and subfolders;
- Improved camera app with time-lapse video, capture during video recording, ability to use volume keys as shutter button, updated zoom control look and feel, continuous focus with tap to autofocus, and flash-assisted low light focus;
- Browser to improve page loading, view desktop version of sites, and offer bookmark synch with Chrome desktop browser;
- New voice input engine to allow for continuous dictation, pausing and inclusion of punctuation to compose emails, texts and more; and
- Smartactions automate tasks and settings such as Voice Announce to tell you who’s calling when you’re driving, or mark your important contacts as “VIP” so their calls override your vibrate and silent settings.