Rumours regarding Apple’s iPad mini are pouring in, with speculation that the device will feature a 7.85-inch screen, boast a 7.2mm thickness, and will be released before October 2012.
A smaller, and more affordable, entry into Apple’s iPad range has been rumoured since the introduction of the original model, with Apple expected to follow the route they took with the iPad mini (DigiTimes).
Will it actually happen?
- Competition within the “entry level” tablet market has increased, due to the success of the Amazon Kindle Fire and Google Nexus 7, and Apple will want to get their share of the market. An iPad Mini is almost a certainty (The New York Times)
- The device is rumoured to have a 7.85-inch display (Apple Insider)
- Claims suggest that it will feature a Sharp IGZO display (Apple Insider)
- 1024×768 pixel resolution (Into mobile)
- Apple will offer the iPad Mini in a number of different iterations – some with only Wi-Fi, others with Wi-Fi and 3G, and some with Wi-Fi and 4G (Know Your Mobile)
- 8GB storage (Apple Insider)
- The device is likely to sell for “significantly less than the latest $499 iPad”, expecting that the smaller iPad would retail below $299 (around R 3,360*) (Cnet)
- The device is speculated to arrive alongside the also unannounced iPhone 5, before October (International Business Times)
*Exchange rates calculated at time of article