A month after shutting down game production at Lucasfilm subsidiary LucasArts, The Walt Disney Co. said Monday that it had entered multi-year deal with Electronic Arts Inc. to develop new “Star Wars” video games.
According to a statement, EA will develop games for a “core gaming audience” while Disney will retain the right to develop titles for mobile devices, social platforms and online.
Terms were not disclosed.
Disney is aiming to make its money-losing interactive unit profitable this year and shifting some game development costs elsewhere should help.
Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4.06 billion in December. The company said last month that it will release a new “Star Wars” movie every year starting in 2015.