Discovery has launched Vitality Weight Loss Rewards, with the aim of getting members to lose weight.
The company stated that the “behaviour-based intervention” will combat the issues of being overweight and obesity.
“Vitality Weight Loss Rewards uses behavioural economics principles and methods to help and reward participants – with a Body Mass Index or waist circumference outside recommended ranges – to reach weight-loss goals in short, manageable cycles,” said Discovery.
Vitality’s Dr Craig Nossel said almost 70% of women and 40% of men are classified as obese or overweight in South Africa.
Weight Loss Rewards combines weight-tracking tools, guided access to dietitians, weight-management programmes such as Weight Watchers, and Vitality Active Rewards, said the company.
“Extended discounts on healthy food options offered through Vitality’s HealthyFood benefit are part of the rewards.”
Weight Loss Rewards
Discovery provided the following summary of the Weight Loss Rewards:
- Vitality’s weight-loss intervention will run through smartphones with the Discovery app.
- Vitality Weight Loss Rewards will be recommended for specific people, aged 18 to 79, who fall into a qualifying range following a Vitality-verified weigh in.
- Vitality members eligible to participate are those with a BMI greater or equal to 30, or a BMI between 25 and 29.9 and a waist circumference greater or equal to 94cm for males, and greater or equal to 80cm for females.
- Goal setting is personal and based on clinically-significant and safe weight loss.
- There are three levels of goals and rewards.
- During the initial 12-week cycle, Vitality points, and additional cash back on HealthyFood, form part of the goal tracking on the app.
- Vitality Weight Loss Rewards carries no additional costs, only those associated with a Vitality Health Check, a weigh in with the Vitality Wellness Network, or a Vitality Fitness Assessment.