The ANC government is considering scrapping e-tolls as a way to fund Gauteng’s freeways. This is according to a report in the Sunday Independent newspaper.
The report states that while e-tolls has not been scrapped yet, the Gauteng government has noted the dissatisfaction of motorists.
Gauteng Transport MEC Ismail Vadi told the newspaper that they are taking a second look at e-tolls in the province.
“E-tolls still remain a valid option but there are also discussions about a provincial fuel levy or a provincial tax or shadow tolling,” he said.
However, Vadi said that government will not scrap the existing e-tolls. “There will be no review of phase one of the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project,” he said.
Sanral’s e-tolling system has come under fire since its inception, with many Gauteng motorists refusing to pay for e-tolls.
The latest figures show that Gauteng motorists have run up more than half a billion rand in overdue fees since the province’s e-tolling system started on December 3 last year. Less than 10 percent of this has been paid.
“I am informed that… as at March 1 [this year] an amount of R543,544,574 worth of invoices were transferred to the VPC [Violations Processing Centre],” Transport Minister Dipuo Peters said in written reply to a parliamentary question.
The VPC is the debt-collection division within the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) responsible for the collection and processing of overdue e-toll transactions.
In March 2014 the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) announced that it has lodged a subsidiary complaint with the public protector against Sanral after receiving “damning information from a source inside the e-toll system”.
Outa said that the new allegations stem from experiences of a well-placed source inside the system.
The source confirmed Outa’s views of mismanagement stemming from Sanral’s extremely high risk strategy to develop an electronic tolling infrastructure for the entire country.