The South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), the Department of Transport (DoT), the Gauteng government, and the Gauteng premier are mum on whether e-tolls will be scrapped in the province.
Gauteng Premier David Makhura said in his State of the Province address on Friday, 27 June 2014, that an e-tolling panel will be set up which will solicit proposals on how to find new solutions for funding the province’s road infrastructure.
He said they cannot block their ears to the “cries of the sectors of our population who are affected by the cost of travelling across the province”.
These words follow Gauteng Transport MEC Ismail Vadi’s announcement that they are taking a second look at e-tolls in the province.
“E-tolls still remain a valid option but there are also discussions about a provincial fuel levy or a provincial tax or shadow tolling,” Vadi said.
Sanral blames Makhura for financial issues
Sanral has now blamed Makhura’s talk of an e-toll review panel for the agency missing its latest bond auction targets.
Sanral said it only managed to raise R275 million in its latest bond auction, blaming comments made earlier this week by Makhura relating to the future of e-tolling.
Government and Sanral clueless about e-toll future
MyBroadband tried to find clarity on whether all e-tolls, including phase one, may be scrapped. However, no one wanted to comment on the issue.
Sanral would not answer any questions about the issue, referring all queries to the Department of Transport, which it said “will provide comment”.
The Department of Transport said the launched phase of e-tolling (201 km) continues and people should continue honouring their obligations, and those who still haven’t registered should do so.
However, the department would not comment on whether all e-tolls may be scrapped in future, saying that questions should be directed “to the office of the Premier of Gauteng as they are dealing with the “Review Panel” matter”.
The Gauteng government referred MyBroadband to the Gauteng Department of Transport and the Premier’s office. However, neither parties responded to questions about the issue.