The countdown has begun for Gauteng motorists, who will find out on Wednesday afternoon what fate awaits them each time they drive under an e-toll gantry.
Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa will announce a new dispensation on Gauteng e-tolls at Parliament in Cape Town, the Presidency said in a statement.
“The new e-tolls dispensation is the product of extensive public consultation, deliberations within government and approval by Cabinet,” it said.
Ramaphosa will be joined by Transport Minister Dipuo Peters, Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene, Gauteng Premier David Makhura, and Gauteng MEC’s for Transport and Finance, Ishmael Vadi and Barbara Creecy respectively.
In his 2015/16 budget speech in the National Assembly, Nene said: “Concerns regarding the socio-economic impact of toll tariffs have been heard, and revised monthly ceilings will shortly be proposed.”
He stressed that the principle of tolling remained firmly in place, adding with regard to the project: “Cost recovery from road users will continue to be the principal financing mechanism for this major road system.”
Hybrid model expected
City Press reported earlier this year that an e-toll consultation team, headed up by Ramaphosa and which included roads agency Sanral, the Treasury and the Gauteng government, would adopt some of the recommendations of the e-tolls review panel set up by Gauteng Premier David Makhura.
The panel recommended a hybrid funding model for highway upgrades that includes higher motor vehicle licence fees; turning off certain gantries; increasing off-peak discounts; and introducing time-of-day exemptions, City Press said.
Officials who attended meetings facilitated by Ramaphosa said the consensus was that some of these recommendations should be adopted.