President Jacob Zuma has affirmed the recommendation not to increase the salaries of public office bearers for the 2016/17 financial year.
The Independent Commission for the Remuneration of Public Office Bearers has recommended that there be no adjustment to the remuneration of the following public office bearers:
- All members of the National Executive (the President, Deputy President, Ministers and Deputy Ministers).
- All members of the National Parliament.
- All members of the Provincial Executive and Legislature.
- All Judges.
- Local government: Positions of Executive Mayors to Whip.
- Traditional Leadership: Position of the King/Queen to full-time Deputy Chairperson of Provincial House of Traditional Leaders (PHTL).
The commission further recommended a 4% cost-of-living adjustment to the remuneration of Municipal Councillors and 6% for all Magistrates, full-time members of the National House of Traditional Leaders (NHTL), Headmen/Headwomen as well as the sitting allowance for all members of NHTL and PHTL.
Salaries and allowances of different categories of public office bearers are determined by the President, after taking into account, among others, the recommendation of the commission.