The parliamentary communications committee said on Friday it had hoped that the expensive and protracted legal battle over former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng’s appointment had been left in the past.
The committee was reacting to a decision by the SABC to appeal a High Court ruling that set aside Motsoeneng’s appointment as its group executive for corporate affairs.
Chairperson Humphrey Maxegwana said the committee will ask to be briefed in detail by the Minister of Communications, Faith Muthambi, regarding the reasons behind the appeal.
Maxegwana further stated that the committee was “interested” in hearing from Muthambi about why the SABC “found it difficult to implement the ruling”.
The SABC on Thursday argued that Motsoeneng’s appointment was an internal arrangement and did not constitute an exercise of public power, and thus a court could not review it.
The public broadcaster applied to the Western Cape High Court on Thursday for leave to appeal its earlier ruling on Motsoeneng’s appointment as group executive of corporate affairs.
The court ruled in December that his appointment was unlawful and that he could not hold any position at the broadcaster, unless the Public Protector’s 2014 report on his appointment as chief executive officer was overturned, or a new disciplinary inquiry cleared him.