Department of Communications Director General Rosey Sekese is set to stay in her position until next year’s elections. This is according to a report in the Sunday Independent newspaper.
According to the report communications minister Yunus Carrim said that he is finalising the last outstanding issues related to Sekese’s power and functions at the department.
Sekese had a troubled relationship with former communications minister Dina Pule. She was placed on special leave by Pule, but after a successful legal battle Sekese returned to work.
However, upon her return Sekese was stripped of many of her powers and responsibilities as communications DG. She was even locked out of her office, and had to fight to continue to work.
Sekese has also been under fire for allegedly lying to the parliamentary portfolio committee on communications.
It emerged that Sekese had not signed her performance agreement, despite Deputy Minister of Communications Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams reporting to parliament that she had.
Ndabeni-Abrahams said she apologised to the committee when she discovered the truth, saying that she had been given incorrect information by the DG.