Mass e-toll protests unlikely: Govt

A ground swell of protest to Gauteng’s e-tolls once implemented is unlikely, acting GCIS CEO Phumla Williams said on Thursday.

“The increase of people already tagged does not indicate that a large number of people will be protesting,” she told reporters in Pretoria following Cabinet’s regular fortnightly Wednesday meeting.

“We believe we are a country of law-abiding citizens and a large number are already tagged.”

She said the outcry over e-tolls had been over the tariffs being too high and not because people were against the user pay principle, and the issue of tariffs had been addressed.

Cabinet had welcomed the Supreme Court of Appeal’s dismissal of an Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) bid to stop e-tolls.

“Cabinet calls on users of Gauteng’s freeways to abide by the law, demonstrate good citizenship, and make their contribution to a better South Africa by registering for e-tags and paying for use of these world-class roads,” Williams said.

“The e-tolling system is one aspect of the Gauteng Freeway Improvement Project which has enhanced the movement of people and goods and will make the provincial and national economy more efficient in future.”

Williams said Transport Minister Dipuo Peters would announce the date on which e-tolling would come into effect.

More on e-tolling

Fight against e-tolls now up to people of Gauteng: DA

E-tolls cannot be undone: Judge

Outa’s e-toll case dismissed

What if you don’t pay e-tolls?

Latest news

Partner Content

Show comments

Recommended

Share this article
Mass e-toll protests unlikely: Govt