The Raspberry Pi 3 has been unveiled, offering up to 10 times the processing performance of the original Raspberry Pi.
The Pi 3 also offers 802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) and Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity.
According to RS Components, the Pi 3 is great for learning to program, for gaming, hacks or business applications, and for IoT projects.
The specifications of the Raspberry Pi 3 are below:
- Processor – Broadcom BCM2387 chipset, 1.2GHz Quad-Core ARM Cortex-A53.802.11 b/g/n Wireless LAN and Bluetooth 4.1 (Bluetooth Classic and LE).
- GPU – Dual Core VideoCore IV Multimedia Co-Processor. Open GL ES 2.0, hardware-accelerated OpenVG, 1080p30 H.264 high-profile decode. 1Gpixel/s, 1.5Gtexel/s, or 24GFLOPs with texture filtering and DMA infrastructure.
- Memory – 1GB LPDDR2.
- Operating System – Boots from Micro SD card, running a version of the Linux operating system or Windows 10 IoT.
- Dimensions – 85 x 56 x 17mm.
- Power – Micro USB socket 5V1, 2.5A.
The Raspberry Pi 3 is priced at $35 – the same as the previous version of the device.
Locally, RS Components charges R642 (ex VAT) for the new Raspberry Pi Model 3 B SBC.