The SD Association, which sets memory card standards, has unveiled its SD Express format – which brings big enhancements to SD memory cards.
The SD Express format improves transfer speeds up to 985MB/s through the PCIe interface.
It also increases the storage capacity in SD memory cards from the current 2TB with SDXC to 128TB with the new SD Ultra Capacity (SDUC) card.
The SD Association said the SD Express format delivers speeds necessary to move large amounts of data, needed for:
- Data-intense wireless communication.
- Super-slow-motion video.
- RAW continuous burst mode and 8K video capture and playback.
- 360 degree cameras/videos.
- Speed-hungry applications running on cards and mobile computing devices.
- Gaming systems.
- Multi-channel IoT devices and automotive.
SD Express will be initially offered on SDUC, SDXC, and SDHC memory cards.